|King George Hotel, c. 1940. Source|
The hotel's name was changed after the Royal Visit of 1939. That year, over 60,000 people thronged to Melville, population 3,000, to catch a glimpse of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. The visit was to be a ten-minute whistle-stop, but in view of the magnitude of the crowd, organizers agreed to stop for half an hour.
Crowd waiting for the Royal Couple, CN station, Melville, 1939.http://www.melvilleadvance.com/CN_Station_Restoration/CN_Station_Restoration.html
|The King George Hotel, Melville, 2006. Joan Champ photo|
|The kitchen of the King George Hotel, Melville, 2006.|
Watch more video of Melville's main street before the hotel fire, August 2008: YouTube link
© Joan Champ, 2011
View Larger Map